I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

30 October 2007

Waxy Tea is Not Okay

So on Sunday we met up with some friends in Brixton for Sunday Roast (the true cure for Saturday's drinking) everyone was a little be more stupid than they normally would be due to the cocktails at our costume party, The Black Cat certainly did it's part to knock me down a few pegs.

Anyhow, we all spoke slowly and ate our roast beef or veggie sausages and then we realized that the pub we were eating in had run out of desserts! The horror! Didn't they know we were hung over and craving sweets? Why didn't they know?!?!?!

So we went to the Prince Pub on Brixton Road. The Prince is a standard gastro pub that will forever live in infamy because it is the location of the great passport and Visa theft of 2006 wherein my handbag was lifted off the sofa I was sitting on and stolen away from me. As you may have guessed, at the time my purse contained not only my standard belongings but also my US Passport complete with UK Visa. This led to a soul killing day spent at the Home Office at Lunar House in Croydon which cost me approx £500 and sucked a few years off my life (sort of like The Machine in the Princess Bride but with a longer queue). But I didn't blame the pub for that, no, I blamed the thief. So I went back happily enough and ordered a peppermint tea and sticky toffee pudding from the distracted waitress.

45 minutes later I had my pudding but no tea. About ten minutes later the tea arrived covered by a white saucer. I took off the saucer and placed it under the mug and took a nice big drink (hung over = thirsty after all) I burnt my mouth so it took a minute to notice the strange film that had coated my mouth, but when I did I began to scrape at the roof of my mouth and found a strange white residue coming out on my fingers. We pointed this out to the gentleman delivering the last of our drinks and he said with a laugh, "Oh God, we used those saucers for candles last night, they must still have wax on them! Can I get you another?"

To which I responded, "Uh no," and tried not to vomit because I had dirty pub candle wax coating my mouth. I went up to complain more formally but all I could get out was something along the lines of "Seriously dude, I'm pretty grossed out about this, it's unacceptable."

They didn't charge me for my tea or anyone else for their hot drinks, but they never at any point apologized to me for the fact that I had a mouth full of dirty pub candle wax. Totally not cool.

So to The Prince Pub in Brixton I say the following:

Screw you and your thieving clientele and your crappy service and your dirty wax field tea. You suck.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home