I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

16 October 2007

Dudes, why does beer hate me now?

I went out for some beers last night. I know, drinking on a Monday is a bad idea, but a friend and her husband and sister were in town from the good old U S of A so, y'know, I had to.

She's the friend who introduced me to Jeremy and set us up on our blind date despite my initial misgivings about dating and blind dating and meeting new people and dating. And we had a really nice time at this touristy pub near Blackfriar's Bridge. But good God, I am so so so so so sososososososososososososososo tired today. I mean it! I only had 4.5 pints. That's not anywhere near enough to make me this sleepy. I don't have a headache or anything and not any sort of traditional hangover, but damn do I feel sluggish.

When did I get so lame? I used to be able to drink until 4 in the morning, sleep for an hour and a half and then go to work still drunk. Of course, I use the word work really loosely here as my morning were spent handing out cassette tapes in the language lab at Wayne State University where I regularly napped on my desk for a good hour or two each day. But still, it's not like that was proper sleep, that was more like passing out a little bit. But I didn't need sleep! I only needed the promise of more booze later on in the evening.

But now, if I'm not wearing my JimJams and tucked into bed by 10pm I'm a freaking wreck the next day. I'm an old lady now. Too much imbibing and carrousing back in the day has ruined me for all weeknight carrousing in the future.

2 Comments:

  • At 16 October 2007 at 17:12, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    When I hit 30 I learned that my body could not take a night of drinking like when I was 22. Sadly... it only gets worse.

     
  • At 19 October 2007 at 16:30, Blogger Gaby Hess said…

    Did you not get the memo that we sent? 5 of 9er is totally right. The hangovers now are so freaking painful and I try to avoid them at all costs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home