I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

23 October 2007

Creative Decisions

I have made a decision. I have decided to shelve my serious story ideas for right now and instead I am going to write a love story. It will be a traditional type love story about two people falling in love, but it will also be a love story about Detroit and about figuring out who you are. And there will be jokes and it will be fun. Fun to write, and hopefully, fun to read.

I've been putting all this emphasis on writing something important and deep. Something all full of truth and angst and I've been dreading it. And I've been hitting my snooze button to avoid it. And that is dumb. I love writing and I love creating stories and I used to love writing funny sweet stories about misfits and that's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to care how close it is or isn't to my real life I'm just going to start telling this new story and roll with it.

I did two pages long hand in thirty minutes at lunch today and it felt good and made me smile. I missed that feeling. I deserve to have it some more.

I am going to clean up the golden bit in the serious book idea and start submitting it as a short story, otherwise I am going to focus on telling some stories that make me feel joyful right now. They will probably venture into melancholy and even sorrow at points but ultimately I want them to make me happy.

Please not that this long hard look at my creative life is all down to my therapy sessions and reading a book written by someone who was born in 1980. It was her second book! It wasn't even that good. Not that I would admit it if it was. But, for real, it wasn't, I totally called the plot twist 1/4 of the way through! Since when are people who were born in 1980 old enough to read or write joined up letters anyhow? But the point is I was reading it for the fluff and the fun and while I was reading it i was like I could write a better more fun fluff book than the 1980 jerk! So I'm gonna.

1980 is stupid. 1977 is going to show her how it's done.

3 Comments:

  • At 23 October 2007 at 15:08, Blogger Alannah said…

    And 1975 is going to sit back and wait for the good books to come to her.

     
  • At 23 October 2007 at 15:32, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    And 1972 and going to just be an old fart. :(

    Sounds like a change of direction will do you some good. But a love story in Detroit. Really?

     
  • At 23 October 2007 at 15:54, Blogger carolyn says said…

    Yep, 1972, Detroit. But the love story won't be the only thing, just the central thing. There will be more to it than that. friend and family relations and transitions to adulthood. but funny and happy and not boring.

    1975, I'll send you an advance copy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home