I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

05 December 2007

Knocked Up

I don't watch Grey's (or is it Gray's?) Anatomy so I don't care about the first half of this article, but i agree with what she says in the last bit about Knocked Up. A movie a liked for a lot of reasons but also have issues with for exactly the reason she mentioned. The women were painted as awfully shrewish and that hardly seems fair.

I'm looking forward to seeing Juno when it comes out here because I think it will tackle a similar storyline (with younger characters obviously) in a more even handed way (character developmentally that is).

Jeez, too many parenthese up there. That has to be a sign of lazy writing.

6 Comments:

  • At 5 December 2007 at 17:22, Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said…

    But I love using parenthases! Am I a lazy writer (yes)?

     
  • At 5 December 2007 at 17:51, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    I watch Grey's and I absolutely hate this story line.

     
  • At 5 December 2007 at 22:59, Blogger Alannah said…

    Yup. I've got some thoughts on this matter.

     
  • At 6 December 2007 at 14:21, Blogger carolyn says said…

    [cherry] you are safe because of the brackets in your name, it implies a certain creativity

    9er it does sound sort of ick

    alannah, tell me more, let's formulate coherent arguments, then we should just write a screenplay with well rounded female characters at the center

     
  • At 6 December 2007 at 16:07, Blogger Alannah said…

    I need a minute to think about this article, plus it's been a while since I've seen Knocked Up.

    After watching The Darjeeling Limited I will tell you this much - I'm sick to fucking DEATH of latent adolescent men-children as main characters in films!!! ENOUGH!

    And then there's filmmakers like Nicole Holofcener who strives to make films featuring well-rounded and richly nuanced female main characters! Gasp! Who knew that WOMEN also have stories to tell?

     
  • At 6 December 2007 at 16:46, Blogger carolyn says said…

    those women clearly aren't spending enough time caring for their husbands and sons who will no doubt remain immersed in their man-child worlds forever! how dare those women have interesting lives and stories? HOW DARE THEY? Think of the men alannah! just think of the men!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home