I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

23 November 2007

This Thanksgiving . . .

I am thankful to be alive. Yesterday while we were driving to Marysville to pick up two of my nieces for some Dance Dance Revolution I lost control of my father-in-law's care while I was passing a large semi. I tapped the cab of the semi and spun Jeremy and I into the very muddy and cold median. The damage to the car was minimal and we were unhurt but we were also stuck. Just as we were about to call AAA a St Clair County sheriff arrived and took our info and said he would call a tow for us. While he was doing this another car spun out going westbound on 69 (we had been traveling eastbound) a second car hit it and then a black Jeep Cherokee attempted to avoid both those cars and lost control, ultimately slamming into the rear driver's side of our completely stationery car.

Jeremy's head ended up smacked into the windshield and I got tossed around a fair bit. He has a concussion and I have Acute Cervical Trauma (aka whiplash) and we are both sore as hell. But we are also pretty fucking lucky. Lucky that the Cherokee hit the back of the car. Lucky that we didn't already have my nieces in the car. Lucky we weren't more seriously hurt.

Now I have the distinct privilege of wearing a neckbrace with my beautiful new dress. Awesome.

Today we are both really really sore. I have vicoden and he is taking 800 mg of ibu profen 3X a day. He is slightly more wary of the marvels of modern medicine than I am and refused the prescription.

They say that Stuart's (Jeremy's Dad) auto insurance will cover our medical bills, we both still had a few moments of solid terror though when we realized that we hadn't bought travel insurance and that we were pretty sure the hospital wouldn't take NHS.

Best of all though, the woman who did my Cat Scan used to baby sit me and my brother when she was a teenager.

Port Huron is a small town. But you already knew that.


I also got to meet my newest niece Kate. She wasn't sure of me and my neck brace but she was still pretty awesome.


ETA We made the papers!

http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071123/NEWS01/711230310/1002

that's jeremy on the stretcher in the first picture, and in the third picture you can see the jeep cherokee and the saturn we were driving.

you may henceforth refer to us as Attica Man,31, and Attica Woman,30

3 Comments:

  • At 23 November 2007 at 23:25, Blogger Alannah said…

    I'm very very very thankful that both of you are okay! How terrifying. I'm so sorry to hear that you'll now have further medical woes. But I'm so glad you're alive.

     
  • At 28 November 2007 at 16:30, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    HOLY SHIT! Wow! I am so glad to hear you both are ok. This blogging can be a bit strange. For someone I have never met, I feel like I kind of know you and your hubby and your kitty... and worry about you. Hope you heal soon.

    We had a rental truck move into our lane on the drive to Memphis... they did not even see us. Thankfully when we drove off the road we did not get stuck, or spin around.

     
  • At 28 November 2007 at 21:34, Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said…

    Thank God you are alright!!! Speedy recovery to you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home