I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

29 June 2007

Surveillance

I can see two helicopters hovering in the sky over Central London from my window at work. I assume it's about this.

One has moved on but one is hanging in position as if it were being held up by wires.

In Detroit, at night, helicopters used to fly over head and shine blue lights on those of us below. It made even the most mundane activities feel vaguely criminal. Buying a pint of milk could easily become a covert mission. Not that I ever went out at night to buy milk when I lived in Detroit because that would be stupid and because I don't drink milk.

The second helicopter is back. A red balloon just floated up into the sky as well. That's a nicer thought, let's all think about the red balloon. Did anybody else have to watch that movie in elementary school? Whenever I think of it I think of an overwarm room and that little boy running down an alley. It's not really a good memory or a bad memory. Just a memory.

Better than bombs and helicopters though.

1 Comments:

  • At 29 June 2007 at 15:33, Blogger Alannah said…

    It's always nice to wake up to fear, huh? At least...because of the time change that's how I woke up this morning, hearing about your lovely car full of fuel and nails.

    The library in our town had a book based on the film The Red Balloon so I remember reading it as a kid before I ever saw the film. Then I saw it in my college Film Lecture class and felt so sad until the professor said the film was a parable and the balloon was supposed to represent Jesus. WTF???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home