I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

16 January 2008

Take that Seasonal Affective Disorder!

My friend Lori is going to come visit me this summer. I am totally 100% geeked. Lori and I have officially know each other since I was 3 and she was 4 at the church that scarred us both theologically for life but weren't freinds then because as a 3 year old I was obviously a baby and not fit to spend time with the 4 year old crew. We met again when we were 19 and 20 respectively through a mutual friend when it was discovered that we were both shipping off to Wayne State University in the the fall of 97 and I had the good luck to begin building a friendship with her and our friend Harmony. A friendship based largely on an evening spent watching a horror movie about sorority sisters during which we all chose girlfriends and hoped that our special lady would be the killer (mine totally was). Even though I was referred to as Beer Bitch all evening long, it was certainly the start of something special.

We all worked together at the Cass Cafe and grew a really wonderful cirlce of lady friends and some boy type friends too. In my mind this was a golden time. I made some great friends and feel like the two years I spent in Detroit were the years that I grew into myself. And Lori and Harmony (or Harm-ass as she is more affectionately known) remain the friends I can see after a two year absence without any awkwardness and lapse in comfort and conversation.

Neither of them have been able to visit yet, Lori has a kid now and Harmony works as a nurse without loads of time off or money. So when I got the email from Lori last night, especially after just seeing her in November, I actually yelled, Fuck yeah and then jumped up and down.

Last week I started looking for reasons not to off myself during these the grayest and rainiest days of London's winter and as soon as I told Jeremy that we needed to start planning trips so i had daydream fodder we decided to go to Athens for our birthdays, started looking at trips to the Dominican Republic for our friend Dana's wedding this June and then got this email from Lori. The universe heard my cry. Clearly God does not wasn me to commit climate related suicide, I shall live to see the spring!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home