I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

15 January 2008

dangerous times

So the Brit nominations were announced today and they are notable for the heavy influx of pop acts nominated over the guitar heavy mope rock of years past. I've got now problem with this. I like pop music, possibly too much at times, but I have thrown off the shackles of my youthful indie snobbery and embraced all sorts and styles of music. But the following quote from the above article gives me dark and sinister chills:

'REM's Michael Stipe called Mika, who qualifies thanks to his British passport, "a great songwriter" and a key influence on the band's new album.'
Mika is a what what now? Are they dating or something? Because that might explain this frightening lapse in tast on the part of Michael Stipe (who's music I admittedly do not listen to as much anymore, but still!) I mean sure Mika has pretty eyes and is sort of androgynously cute, but a great songwriter? Hardly. An annoying screechy little muppet? Maybe.
Yeesh, Stipe, just put another nail in the coffin of our once beautiful and active imaginary relationship. If it weren't for every single REM album up to and including New Adventures in Hi-Fi we would be totally over right now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home