I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

11 December 2007

Revelations (minus the horsemen of the apocalypse)

Something you should know. For all his shortcomings politically my dad was really awesome on Thanksgiving. He drove into Port Huron after I called my folks sounding like a mad spaz from our smashed up car. He got to the hospital while they were taking my details, told me that Jeremy was fine, and held my hand and let me cry while I was strapped to the back board. He got the nurses to let me go to the toilet after they unstrapped me. And then he told me that white wine would mix just fine with Vicoden. "It's a muscle relaxer too," he said.

And then on the way home I was nervously jabbering about all sorts of things and started to talk about my lousy luck with everything from waxy tea to arthritis to shitty coworkers to a fucking car accident on Thanksgiving day and he said, "No, you're not unlucky at all. You're very lucky that the car got hit where it did and you both walked away. You're alive"

And usually that kind of statement really gets my goat and makes me sputter and bluster and grump around, but maybe the magic of Thanksgiving made me see the light because all I could think was that my dad was right. Totally right. I mean don't tell him that I agree with him or anything, because it's fairly rare. But yeah, I am lucky in a lot of ways (not the least of which is that I live in London, UK rather than London, Ontario like everyone at the hospital kept insisting, one nurse even told Jeremy that UK stood for Yukon Territory) and it is good to remember that. it is good to put the sarcasm and snarkiness on hold occasionally and just be glad I have this life. It's pretty fucking good despite my weather forecasting joints.

7 Comments:

  • At 12 December 2007 at 16:57, Blogger Alannah said…

    The Magic of Thanksgiving is powerful stuff!

    You are indeed very lucky. And I'm lucky to have "known" you for so long!

     
  • At 13 December 2007 at 05:47, Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said…

    As for your last post, I do think our portions are too big. I usually end up giving half my shit to a homeless dude, who would much rather have some mad dog.

     
  • At 13 December 2007 at 13:54, Blogger carolyn says said…

    aww alannah, right back atcha!

    dr ken that's why i stopped sharing my doggy bags with the homeless ages ago. If i'm gonna give them anything it'll be money. who am i to oppose my nutritional regime on the poor and downtrodden! unless they've got a dog, then the dog can eat my food, i think it would be gross for a dog to drink mad dog, sort of cannabalistic

     
  • At 13 December 2007 at 18:22, Blogger ReckenRoll said…

    UK stands for Yukon. Are these the same nurses that are going to school with Cherryride, I wonder?

    I'm with Alannah, glad your lucky and ok. Hooray!

     
  • At 14 December 2007 at 17:39, Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said…

    Great post.
    When are you and Jeremy coming to Chicago next, so we can share muscle relaxers together?

     
  • At 16 December 2007 at 17:44, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    Yes indeed, yea for looking on the bright side of life. I may bug the crap out of you sometimes, but it really makes life a little easier to life.

    But there is always time for bad days and grumpiness.

     
  • At 17 December 2007 at 13:09, Blogger carolyn says said…

    recken, they may be his nursing forebears. of course they've also had the benefits of the port huron public school system which I can personally vouch for as being top notch (ish, sort of, not really)

    Cherry, we don't have a trip planned yet but you'll be first on my list to notify, especially if you create a drink in my honor. we could call it the muscle relaxer

    9er, too right. although it probably goes against this new positive outlook when i yell the following at jeremy 'stop being such a negative dickwipe! you're fucking up my positive outlook!' i think that may well negate all positivity pretty quickly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home