I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

05 September 2007

Bad Omens

So this morning I was leaving the house all therapized and positive. I was thinking, today is going to be a good day. I am going to be strong and capable. I am a good leader and I deserve my job and any support I receive. I am not frightened of the horrible ladies. I was ready to take on the world.

So I turned out of my door and walked a few yards and noticed a cat laying in the middle of the sidewalk. Then I noticed that there was blood near the cat's mouth. Then I noticed that the cat was not breathing.

Clearly, not the most positive start to the day. I took a closer look and saw that there were bite marks all over the cat. On its neck and legs I could see broken skin.

It was a handsome cat, white with gray striped ears and spots on its back.

My stomach started to heav, of course, so I ran back to the house and leaned against the door as I shouted up the stairs to Jeremy about what I had seen. Oliver came in through his window and I scooped him up and said 'That's why you stay inside at night!' and Jeremy called down 'That's why Oliver stays inside at night!' at the same time.

I finally let Oliver escape from my over protective clutches and looked up the number to the council so I could call them on my way to work to have the body removed. The lady I spoke to at the council was really friendly (kind of a shock) when I told her why I was calling she said, 'Oh someone will have a sad morning today.' I couldn't answer that because I hadn't yet thought about the little girl or old lady who was going to wake up without a cat today.

I heard lots of voices last night and I think I heard a dog. I heard what I thought were fox cries, but what if they were the last shouts of this poor cat and I just ignored them because I'm so used to the fox's mating calls (which are horrible, in case you were wondering).

I wanted to hide in my room today and not leave the house again. But I have meetings with Bigwigs this afternoon and dead cat on my sidewalk is not a valid reason for cancellation.

It should be though. Omens deserve our attention, if I learned anything from my Greek mythology class at Wayne State it was that. And watch out for libidinous swans.

2 Comments:

  • At 6 September 2007 at 18:58, Blogger Alannah said…

    That is so awful, C. I'm so sorry. A few months ago I was driving back to work from lunch and saw two dead kittens in the street. I imagined a scenario in which they'd been playing and ran into the street only to be hit by a car. I called the city's animal control (?) officer to report them and the nice lady on the phone said there'd already been three other calls about the kittens. There's nothing harder than seeing dead pets.

     
  • At 10 September 2007 at 18:17, Blogger ReckenRoll said…

    Oh that is very very sadcakes. Keep that Oliver in the house. Damn foxes!

    Here is a kitty story that might help make it better: my old roomie called the other day to tell me my 13 year old kitty had caught a mouse in the field near the house. THIRTEEN! Apparently he had quite a little strut on when he came home. It was of the, "Oh yeah, I still got it variety" ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home