I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

02 August 2007

We do all fall down, it's true!

I have have had the song Toy Soldiers stuck in my head since I saw the video on some countdown show. I totally forgot how awesome that song is. And the video too is pretty completely amazing. Like when Martika and her friends first see the 'bad boy on drugs' and he pulls her away from them drawing her out of her childish school uniformed hair and into his den of inequity! Next thing you know she's got short teased hair and is wearing alterna-lite clothes.


I mock now, but the truth is that I practically wore out my Martika tape when this song came out. I really, really, really thought she was the awesomest. Think about it, she used to be on Kids Incorporated and there she was all grown up with lacy sleeves, leather jackets and wide leg trousers. Oh man, did I want to be her. Plus, her song totally had a message. I was always a sucker for songs with a message. Hold On, that Wilson Phillips Classic, was another favorite of mine. But this isn't about that lovely trio of pop royalty offspring (oh those poor Wilson girls).


This is about Martika and the fact that Toy Soldiers has been stuck in my head since SATURDAY! When I was 12, this would have been awesome, but right now at the ripe old age of 30 it is getting just a tiny bit annoying.


I even watched the video for that Lionel Richie classic Hello last night without any movement from Martika. Usually Lionel can push any song out of my head whether it's on his own or with his musical partners the Commodores. This situation may call for drastic measures. I may need to bust out some Polyphonic Spree, or even, dare I say it, Matthew Sweet. Sick of Myself can usually get me out of any jam!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home