I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

01 July 2007

Accents

Watching The Seven Ages of Rock on BBC2 last night I said to Jeremy while Noel Gallagher expounded on his personal brand of genius (of which he remains thoroughly convinced) "I remember when MTV used to run interviews with Oasis in the mid-90s the were always subtitled because their accents were so strong."
And he said, "Their accents are still really strong, we're just better at understanding them."

We both nodded sagely and were pleased with our developing ears.

Later, while watching updates from Glasgow I was equally amazed at my ability to understand a variety of Glaswegian accents. Glaswegian accents remain the hardest for me to understand, so I was pleased to see how far I've come. I still have to ask Glaswegian Chris at work to repeat himself a lot but I think he puts on a heavier accent than he actually has just to get away with saying rude things without getting in trouble.

On a slightly related note, I still really like the song Wonderwall, I hate that I really like it because I know it's a load of sentimental hooey, but gosh, it's a well crafted pop song. Maybe Noel Gallagher has a little bit of genius in him, though not so much as he imagines I don't think.

1 Comments:

  • At 3 July 2007 at 18:06, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    Wonderwall is still a huge plus... nothing bad about liking it. :) I like the Little James song a little bit more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home