I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

18 July 2007

Amputees

Jeremy's in Italy for business right now, so I am home on my own with sickpaws the sad faced kitten until I leave to join him in Venice on Thursday night. Even though I only saw him yesterday, I am a big sap, so I was already missing him a little bit on my way home from work and therapy ( a really good though possibly my last session due to my lousy poorly explained insurance). Anyhow, I was walking up my street and for some reason a memory, unrelated to anything I was doing came to me and made me laugh and it was good. So I will tell you, the internet, about it.

A couple months ago we were on Brick Lane having a wander checking out the hipster shops and trying to feel cooler than we are. A guy came up to us with leaflets for a show and tried to give them to us. For some reason Jeremy had his hands tucked up inside the sleeves of his jacket ( I don't remember it being cold but it might of been) so the guy holds out his leaflets and Jeremy holds up his handless arms and says dead pan "I've got no hands." The leaflet guy just stared at him with a mix of confusion and possibly horror. And after we had moved on a bit we both began to laugh uncontrollably, the kind of laughter that gives you a stomach ache. It wasn't even that funny, I know that, but at the moment it was awesome and perfect. Moments like that are part of the reason that I love Jeremy so much. I don't know anyone else who would use a fraudulent lack of hands as a reason for not taking leaflets, most people would just say no thank you, but my guy's got more class than that.

3 Comments:

  • At 18 July 2007 at 18:12, Blogger Alannah said…

    Great story.

    When I was in college sometimes we'd get an infestation of Christians on campus giving away tiny bibles. It's human nature to take something that someone hands you but I'd fight it. I'd do what Jeremy did (but without claiming to be handless), cram my hands in my pockets and just shrug at them when they tried to hand me bibles.

    What am I going to do with a mini bible? Give it to my stuffed animals and dolls to read?

     
  • At 19 July 2007 at 18:06, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    Yea for being a sap... I start missing LP when I book a flight somewhere. :(
    When people try to hand me something... I just tell them I do not speak english. They usually have a very confused look on their face. Fun times.

     
  • At 23 July 2007 at 12:02, Blogger ReckenRoll said…

    I've become very anti anything handed at me (thank you London). Avoid eye contact, brief shake of the head, not slowing down...although it also makes me into a bit of an ass when it's a tourist with a question about where something is and I just brush past saying no.

    Damn you leaflet people.

    I am going to try the no hands thing :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home