I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

14 May 2007

Sissy pants

I am a huge sissy. It's true. I have a really hard time watching and then recovering from scary movies.

I can remember attending slumber parties as a child and having to hide out upstairs reading a book while everyone else watched scary movies. I watched Silence of the Lambs, after reading the book, when i was 17 and I still occasionally have nightmares featuring Hannibal Lecter. When I was a kid Gremlins gave me horrible nightmares that kept me up all night. Even Goonies, a movie I LOVE!, gave me nightmares. At 21 I watched Along Came a SPider (that Ashley Judd, Morgan Freeman masterpiece) by myself after dark and consequently had to turn on all the lights in my apartment in order to be able to spot any bad men who might try to kill me.

I managed the first 2 Scream movies relatively well, maybe because of the humour they seemed safer. But I never bothered with the 3rd as it looked boring. I refused to see the recent remake of Dawn of the Dead with Jeremy and have subsequently refused to watch special screenings of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and a variety of other horror themed movies.

Recently I watched Shaun of the Dead and loved it, but it's not really scary, is it? It's about lovable losers who just happen to be dealing with zombies that they don't even notice for the first portion of the movie. It's not scary, it's comedy with zombies.

All this is a buildup to the fact that I leapt over a major hurdle this weekend and watched, finally, 28 Days Later. It was really good. There was only one part where I had to cover my eyes even though I had probably seen the grossest bit already, but other than that, I really liked it. It was just so properly creepy throughout. The bit where Jim is walking through desserted London was so nicely done. And Frank and Hannah's creepy council flat was great. So much of it was so good, I feel silly for waiting so long to see it, especially since I haven't had a single nightmare yet. But at the same time, I'm glad I waited because now I've seen it as someone who knows London well, and while I don't think that's necassary to enjoying the film, it did help me. It's the same with how I feel about Shaun of the Dead, I'm glad I saw it after moving here because even though it would have been funny before, it made a lot more sense having acquired my own local.

I don't know if this will extend to other horror films, certainly not the really gory ones, but I'm proud of myself for sucking it up and watching this.

Although now we have to deal with the troubling fact that Oliver appears to have the Rage Virus. What else would cause him to bite us while he sleeps. Zombie kittens, the next wave of danger!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 14 May 2007 at 15:16, Blogger Alannah said…

    I haven't been able to watch 28 Days Later yet. I'm a scaredy cat too. No gore or psychopaths for me, please!

    That said, I did also watch Shaun of the Dead and thought it was very entertaining and funny.

     
  • At 14 May 2007 at 15:44, Blogger carolyn says said…

    it's not that gory at all, while there is blood there is very little in the way of guts, more suspense than horror. as a whole the movie relies a lot more on atmosphere than gross out. and shaun of the dead paraodies it in a few places. but i can just tell you about it if you don't want to watch it.

     
  • At 14 May 2007 at 17:12, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    Then I'm a big sissy too because I just don't watch the scary movies. No way.

     
  • At 14 May 2007 at 19:34, Blogger Alannah said…

    I know, 5er....real life is scary enough!

    D. and I watched City of God last night and I'd forgotten how violent it was....I had only remembered the fancy camera tricks and great music and happy(ish) ending. I need to detox with something funny now. Like maybe Hot Fuzz (speaking of Shaun of the Dead....)

    So the zombies didn't eat brains in 28 Days Later? And yes, go ahead and spoil me with spoilers!

     
  • At 15 May 2007 at 09:47, Blogger carolyn says said…

    see i would say that city of god is probably more violent and bloody than 28 Days Later, but i can handle that sort of movie better because there are no eveil creatures in it, just people.

    the zombies in 28 Days later are actually infected with a virus that makes them eat people, but once the people are bitten they get infected too so then they become zombies as well. and they're fast zombies! that's the really scary part, they aren't slow like the zombies we are used to. it's because the virus started in chimpanzees and chimpanzees are pretty fast

     
  • At 15 May 2007 at 16:08, Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said…

    Richard and I saw 28 Weeks Later on Friday night (opening night - can you tell we love scary movies?) and it was also very good. Not as good as the first one but still good.

    I can totally relate to what you say about living in London has helped you enjoy the movie that much more. I feel the same way after my 7 weeks there. In fact, one of the only reasons I liked "V for Vendetta" is because they filmed one of the opening scenes directly outside my bedroom window.

     
  • At 15 May 2007 at 16:21, Blogger Alannah said…

    I love Oxford Blues with Rob Lowe because I studied there one summer.

    Okay, just kidding. I had to cheer myself up today.

    I'd still like to watch a movie about zombie kittens (as long as no kittens are harmed in real life). Would they eat human brains or feline brains? Or would they just attack with kittenish ferocity?

     
  • At 15 May 2007 at 18:25, Blogger carolyn says said…

    the zombie kittens would obviously eat kitten brains after demanding copious amounts of wet food.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home