I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

24 April 2007

More Important Things You Should Know About Food

One of the reasons I like travelling is because I like to eat new foods. I mean it, I like to eat, and there's no better excuse for stuffing my face than walking around a strange city until my feet are about to fall off. Therefore, let me tell you about what I ate in Paris

  1. I already mentioned it but I left out some details. On Friday night I had Caprese Salad, then Duck breast in a not too sweet honey sauce served with buttered green beans and chips. Jeremy had grilled aubergine served in tomato sauce with melted cheese and then gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce. We split a bottle of rose' that was just on the right side of sweet to complement both our dishes. Then we split a lemony creme brulee and had espresso followed by a chestnut liqueur, because when you are vacation it is totally okay to have an apertif.
  2. Crepes filled with cheese leeks and smoked tofu preceded by avacodo in vinagraitte dressing (this was lunch and i was tired and cranky so I just had lemonade)
  3. One scoop each of lemon/lime and mandarin sorbet in a waffle cone on Pont Nouef, the perfect blend of sweet and sour.
  4. A single chocolate truffle made with dark chocolate and a filling made from the tonka bean, fruity and a bit spicy, 100% good (we bought more)
  5. A beignet filled with butter cream and eaten on a park bench
  6. All manner of baguette sandwiches filled with hams and cheeses and hard boiled eggs
  7. A lovely steak on montremartre cooked medium well with Gruyere sauce on the side served with green beans and roast potatoes, gazpacho as the starter, cotes du bourg as the wine and followed by vanilla ice cream in a berry sauce
  8. Pain au chocolat with coffee
  9. Mint tea with honey and baklava eaten on an outside terrace covered in blue tiles
  10. Coffee and baklava in Oberkampf
  11. Quiche with aubergine, courgette, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and Parmesan served with a lovely fress green salad in mustard sauce
  12. A brunch made of fluffy scrambled eggs, perfect bacon, chipolata, pancake, crepe, toast and yogurt with fruit salad, served with three dishes of jam, one of honey, one of syrup, nutella and butter, plus a glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and black coffee that only needed half a sugar and not a drop of cream.

Those were the high points, there were some less than stellar meals, there always are, I mean, the chicken biryani was okay, and the cheese plate and salad were all right, but not okay. I don't mind that though, a mediocre omelet helps me appreciate my perfect duck breast all the more!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home