I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

06 September 2008

I'm like those sickly Victorian ladies

So there's a new thing wrong with me. The cartilage around the ribs in my chest is swollen and painful. This is called costochondritis. There is no real real reason for it. When I asked the doctor if it might be related to the reactive arthritis she just sort of stared at me blankly. Do you think doctors take a class in blank stares? Because all my doctors are really good at blank stares. I've also got a scratchy throat and a stuffy head. These wouldn't be so bad except the costochondritis makes it really painful to sneeze, cough or blow my nose right now, so the average common cold is knocked up to a new and exciting level.

Otherwise all is well. Work is busy, I'm writing steadily outside of work, the rainy weatrher makes my cat cuddly, and I managed to find the pilot of the new 90210 on line yesterday while I was home sick from work. Sadly the soundtrack was all out of whack with the action and the plot was pretty hackneyed and the girls were all scary skinny (and why'd they have to diss Ahndrea Zuckerman's kid like that, huh?) but I still have hopes for the following episodes, as long as Brenda sticks around I'm in it for the long haul. Now I just have to check out the new cycle of ANTM and all my American tv needs will be met.

I haven't watched any footage of the RNC because just reading about it freaks me out. Were they really seriously, without irony, yelling "Drill, baby, drill" while Palin was speaking? Really? Do people do that?

Despite my fear of the RNC I've still been really homesick lately. Our flyby trip to detroit and Chicago has made me feel just weird. I don't know that I want to move back to the states right now, but I feel like it would be nice to spend a month there just hanging out and actually having enough time to see people and do all the things I miss.

And in general what the fuck news, Jeremy got a call from a recruiter in Kazakhstan. And maybe I shouldn't be so hasty to judge a country based on the Borat movie, but I'm pretty happy he told the guy we'd rather stay in London for now. Not that there aren't lovely parts of Kazhakstan, I'm sure there are, just no thanks. Why don't recruiters from Paris or Rome ever call us? That's what I wanna know.

5 Comments:

  • At 6 September 2008 at 20:42, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's amazing that you got an offer from Borat. These days, it's best to stay away from the "Stan" countries, especially if you're American. You know, I once had a roommate in college from Tajikistan whom, after she got her American education, eventually moved back to become like Minister of Interior or some shit. True story.

    Hope you're feeling better. I'm actually considering another trip to England sometime in the spring as I honestly had the best time ever in London.

    Cheers and tell Dr. J I said hey.
    --Mike

     
  • At 8 September 2008 at 15:32, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What are some of the things you really miss? I'm always curious what people miss the most when they move away from the U.S.

    I have a good friend who taught in Kazhakastan. She really seemed to like it. I'm ashamed to admit I don't know much about it.

     
  • At 8 September 2008 at 20:56, Blogger Alannah said…

    I totally watched the new 90210 too. What's w/ that awful trope of the teenage gossip blog? That's such a blatant ripoff of Gossip Girl!

    My old neighbor worked in Kazakhstan for several years and loved it. He said it was beautiful. Not sure how it would be for an American woman right about now, though.

    The new cycle of ANTM is so so so so so SOOOOO bad!!! It had the cheesiest "sci-fi" theme that had me screaming in agony!

    Take care of yourself, you Charlotte Perkins Gilman heroine, you!

     
  • At 12 September 2008 at 09:01, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12 September 2008 at 18:44, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    It's those blank stares that makes them real doctors. You never see a realistic blank stare on TV... it's all action and yelling.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home