I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

11 March 2007

trying not to be such a brat

i never used to delete things i wrote online.

i used to post them and leave them, no matter how horrible or bratty i might sound.

lately though i am second guessing myself more and am generally more desirous of showing the world my better, less bratty side. so in the interests of helping everyone understand how awesom i am, you should know the following.

even though i had what can probably best be described as a panic attack in Hoxton last night and ended up leaving early to come home on the bus on my own (because riding the bus through sketchy neighborhoods at night is way less panic inducing than a crowded pub, seriously, it is) i still managed to do my civic duty by reporting a crime in my neighborhood!

while walking back from the bus stop at about 20 after 10 i saw two guys leaving the warehouse on the corner through a broken patch in the fence while carrying an i-mac. the walked quickly over to a small white van and sped off. i pretended not to think they looked totally fishy, even though they did, and memorised their license number after they got into the van and then called 999 as i was unlocking the door to my house.

upon calling 999 i was put on hold (way to go emergency services!) so i hung up figuring someone might be dying and i could give up my place in the queue for that, and looked up the southwark met police branch number in the phone book. sat on hold for about 7 more minutes and then reported everything i saw to a very nice telecommunications officer.

it turns out somebody else reported everything too and the police were already on the way but they were happy to have a second report. two police men came by at about 11:30 and took my statement. it turns out the van used has been reported in other thefts in the area . one of the police men kept saying "okie kokie" all the time. this seemed like a very un-policeman like thing to say. but what do i know.

it all makes me feel bad for singing "fuck the poe-lice" with jeremy while we were taking the vespa to greenwich market earlier in the day while we were stuck behind a slow mnoving police van. even if 911 really is a joke in my town, because they were actually very nice.

2 Comments:

  • At 12 March 2007 at 15:53, Blogger Alannah said…

    Good for you, Citizen Carolyn!

    And, for what it's worth - I see nothing wrong with deleting. I'm a big fan of deleting (or changing to draft and then deciding later whether or not to keep it posted).

     
  • At 12 March 2007 at 16:04, Blogger carolyn says said…

    i have a funny relationship with the delete function. a part of me sees it as being self indulgent to delete, but then i start to think it's just as self indulgent to leave all the rubbish up there.

    the older i get(ahem, not e the nearness of my birthday) the more i think it's more self indulgent to leave the rubbish than it is to remove it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home