I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

28 April 2008

In Her Shoes or My Slightly Aggravating Movie Experience on Sunday Night

So In Her Shoes was playing on Channel 4 last night. I read the book when we were between countries and felt it was okay. Good for an airplane and days made hazy by jetlag, but not great. I really want to like Jennifer Weiner's books because I think her heart is in the right place and that there are good stories there but something about them always rubs me the wrong way. I still read them though, so I guess it's not enough the wrong way.

So the movie was on and I thought hey, I'll watch this, Curtis Hanson is good director and has proven himself with at least one movie based on a book (I really really really liked Wonder Boys. As much as the book even, although I'm still not toally sold on M Douglas as the lead, but I can suck it up (Jeff Bridges or John Goodman would have been better, but no one asked me, no one EVER asks me)). And the movie was okay. Like the book, nice enough but not great. Sort of what I was expecting. But there was one thing that really bothered me throughout.

Toni Collette is not fat! Just like Barbra Streisand never looked like a boy in Yentl or like a hideous doggo in the The Mirror Has Two Faces, Toni Collette never at any point looked like a big fatty fatty 2X4 in the movie In Her Shoes. And that is lame. If at any point in a movie one character calles the other a fat pig, said fat pig should actually be fat. If the character who has inner monologues about how fat and horrible she is throughout the movie then SHE SHOULD BE FAT! If you want to make a movie about a person learning to love and accept herself then give her a reason, don't just give her a bad hairdo and some baggy clothes for Christ's sake!

I hate hate hate hate hate the whole cinimatic concept of fat as anything over size 2. Even though I never watched that Farrelly Bros movie with Gwynneth in the fat suit, at least they had the balls to make her properly fat and not just sort of curvy. Or curvy at all for that matter.

Seriously, during the whole transformation bit where Rose becomes a dog walker and this is her workout plan that cures her you couldn't even see a difference, they just suddenly put her in clothe that fit. Totally annoying.

Also the open toe boots Cameron Diaz wore during her seduction scene were totally ugly. Just so you know.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home