I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

16 April 2008

Birthday/Goals

I'm gonna be 31 gotdamn years old on Saturday. That's right, 31. My eggs are drying up, and I'm getting old, or something. Actually the whole concept of getting old, doesn't bug me that much except for the fact that more and more author blurbs seem to include the year of my birth (damn you, Marisha Pessl and Jonothan Safran Foer!) but not my name, but I'm working on that, and most writers don't even get really good until after they're thirty anyhow, look at Carver, he didn't get published until he was way older* than me and now he's a literary legend (at least according to my old writing professor who was taught by him in the 70s. Also by John Irving. You want Carver and Irving stories, I've got Carver and Irving stories. Also a couple of vague Borges stories but those involve less gin), so I've got time.

Sure I've got an old woman's ailments at the moment, but I've still got a young woman's time.

So here are my goals for, this, my 31st year:
  1. Write the first draft of a novel, any novel, crappy or good, just get the fuck past page 55
  2. Try not to go crazy during the bathroom remodel of May 08
  3. Continue swimming on a regular basis (but not so much that I start to look like an East German swimmer at the 84 Olympics)
  4. Buy more dresses (this will give me an air of sophistication I currently lack, I'm sure of it)

*And by way older I mean 33 when his first collection of short stories was published. We're not talking about poetry because I am not a poet okay! Anyhow, i;m just saying that 2 years is a really long time, really, a looooooong time.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home