I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

09 January 2007

Resolutions

i don't really make new year's resolutions. i haven't for years. but this year i find myself striving towards change.

i'm trying not to put an official name on anything and largely i am just grateful for my much improved health as compared to this time last year when, if memory serves, i was dealing with a bowel infection along with the as yet unnamed salmonella bad menstrual cramps and the beginning stages of reactive arthritis and a totally unresponsive doctor. BUT, because there is always a but, i'm not totally happy with myself. my belly is too damn big and i've got an unhealthy relationship with jammy dodgers, sugary coffee and coca cola. i'm a bit smaller than i was when we moved here due to change in lifestyle, i walk more, portion sizes are smaller, stuff like that. but by last summer i weighed considerably less, and yes it was due to illness, but i liked it. i liked being that size. i was happy with that size.

now that my digestive system is back to normal and the left side of my jaw is no longer in near constant arthritic pain i need to keep myself in check. i can no longer rely on intestinal distress and arthritis as my weight loss method, nor do i want to rely on intestinal distress and arthritis, they suck!

so, to that end, i am:
  1. drinking more water
  2. not snacking between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner
  3. cutting back on the coffee
  4. taking a yoga class with a couple friends

i like to think that none of these are resolutions, they're just better choices. although i admit, the timing is suspicious.

and seriously, if i could just get over this whole cancer hang up and start smoking regularly again, i'd lose the weight in a jiff!

speaking of, i need to quit doing that entirely too. but that's for april.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9 January 2007 at 13:03, Blogger Alannah said…

    I think snacking is fine if it's healthy snacking - fruit, nuts, etc.

    Those sound great..good luck finding a good yoga class. It took me nearly 2 yrs to find one I liked, that wasn't too yoga-snobby.

     
  • At 9 January 2007 at 14:29, Blogger carolyn says said…

    healthy snacks? pff. i only snack if it's 100% sugar! when i was a kid i would get my allowance and ride my bike to the store where i would buy multiple charleston chews, pixi stix and a new york seltzer which i would consume as quickly as possible. if not for rent i would probably blow my whole paycheck on sweets

     
  • At 9 January 2007 at 15:01, Blogger Alannah said…

    I feel you...I have a massive sweet tooth myself and do quarterly detox cleanses to rid myself of the craving for sugar. They work for a few weeks until the inevitable slippery slope....next thing I know I'm mainlining twizzlers and peanut m&ms.

     
  • At 11 January 2007 at 16:14, Blogger LORMO said…

    NEW YORK SELTZER!

    Do they still make it?! I never see it anymore.

    I used to blow my whole allowance at Tom Thumb on Fun Dip and Marathon bars and Jolly Ranchers.

    Ah, those were the days my friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home