I Am Not A Reliable Narrator

29 November 2006

bullet points

  • I'm reading The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell and it made me miss my bus stop last night even though I was getting motion sickness from reading on the bus. I just couldn't stop reading, that's how much I like this book. It is about the title character, duh, who is institutionalized in Edinburgh for 60 years for such crimes as refusing to cut her hair and just being generally difficult in the 20's. It's also about her greatniece who is asked to take her in after the institution is shut down to be sold for property value. It's a fractured telling of what happened from the point of view of the niece, Esme and Esme's sister who is suffering from Alzheimer's.
  • That's a really bland description, it doesn't do the book justice. Maggie O'Farrell is really talented at the whole disjointed narration, she uses it pretty successfully in all of her books (although to be honest it was abit off putting in My Lover's Lover, my least favorite of her books, still an engaging read though.) After You'd Gone, her debut novel, uses it to excellent effect.
  • Oliver has begun a new plan of attack on my sanity by destroying a tea and coffee related items. Yesterday I came home to find the french press in pieces on the kitchen floor and the he woke me up by pushing our glass jar of cammomile tea off the highest shelf in the house at 2AM. I tell myself that he's just a kitten and he doesn't understand that he's being incredibly difficult, but honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't being a huge pain on purpose.
  • Some writing done at lunch yesterday but little else. Tonight I have no plans at all and I will use the time productively. I will, I will, Iwill.
  • We came in a disappointing 4th place at the pub quiz last night, I blame the flag for Kazakhstan, and therefore the Borat movie, alongwith the logo for Continental Airlines and the slogan for Panasonic. Ideas for life my ass!
  • Only two more days until I get to leave town and go to Copenhagen for the weekend. I am looking forward to slightly fresher air, the canals, good coffee, open faced sandwiches, and sleeping in.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 29 November 2006 at 13:07, Blogger Alannah said…

    Chicklet has broken at least two nice glass Christmas tree ornaments and destroyed the pink garland I loved so much. Maybe she's Jewish?

    That book sounds really good, actually. I need a good novel.

    Enjoy your weekend.

     
  • At 29 November 2006 at 13:14, Blogger carolyn says said…

    i think you would like it. not sure if it is out in the states yet though as it is only in hardcover here, i highly reccomend after you'd gone and the distance between us as well. i think she's also done some writing for the guardian

     
  • At 29 November 2006 at 17:05, Blogger 5 of 9er said…

    I miss good coffee... and seem to miss the bus often. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home